[mythtv] Found a severe decoding bug in mythffplay

Craig Treleaven ctreleaven at cogeco.ca
Sun May 6 19:59:50 UTC 2012

At 1:42 AM -0400 5/5/12, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>On 05/04/2012 08:57 PM, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
>>Hi
>>
>>On Saturday, 5 May 2012, Nick Morrott wrote:
>>>On 4 May 2012 23:11, Michael T. Dean
>>>
>>>On a related note: are there any plans to upload nightly 0.2x-fixes
>>>tarballs and make those available instead (or even in addition) of the
>>>release/point release tarballs on the official website, for those
>>>users who do not checkout from github or use pre-built binaries?
>>IMHO; that's what point release are for.
>
>Yeah, I don't think it's worth doing nightly tarballs or anything.
>
>Then again, I'd love to just remove the tarballs from our website
>and let users/packagers either clone the repo with git or use github
>tarball links.  TTBOMK, this would actually work, now, since Stuart
>M modified the version script to allow us to always keep a VERSION
>file in place, such that it's only used on systems without git tools
>or where the tarball contains a git export (rather than a repo).
>
>With that approach--as long as we post the -fixes tarball link
>rather than the release tag tarball link--users would still get the
>most-current fixes.

Mike, I was looking at packaging Myth for OS X via MacPorts.  The
folks there are strongly biased against pulling from version control
systems because:
-security.  Verifying checksums on a tarball gives quite strong
assurance that no malicious changes have been introduced since the
packager looked at it.
-repeatability.  More chance that the user's install will succeed and
function as intended.
-availability.  Tarballs can be mirrored on their site to increase
availability (and a recent email from Stuart Morgan indicates this is
a non-trivial problem with GitHub).
-other stuff I can't remember now.

Those seem like reasonable constraints/objectives for many packagers.

Semi-frequent point releases would fit their model better.  (Perhaps
every 2-3 weeks early in a release cycle and sliding to every month
or two as the release matures.)

Craig