[mythtv] No video on macbook on with 0.25

Andrew Leech coronasensei at gmail.com
Sun May 27 23:14:43 UTC 2012

On 27/05/12 1:31 AM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 05/26/2012 09:22 AM, Andrew Leech wrote:
>> Having recently purchased a new macbook (early '11 model), I found
>> that 0.25 would simply show a white screen permanently when playing
>> video, with the audio running fine in the background. Changing the
>> video profile made no difference.
>> I found however that the 05 May build of 0.25b on
>> http://avenard.org/files/mac/ worked fine. Anything newer including
>> 0.25 release, /fixes and master all show the same problem.
>> After setting up compiling in the mac a couple of days ago, and then
>> spending a good few hours bisecting and rebuilding, I've found the
>> causal commit to be
>>
>> fa639a77c0 - Make users have to figure out if their video works.
>>
>> After reading the commit description, I followed the advice, found
>> the painter setting and turned it to Auto, and there we go, my video
>> now works fine!
>>
>> Was this really the desired behavior of this commit?
>
> Yes, unfortunately.
>
>> And if so, where should I have found this information needed to make
>> video work?
>> Why isn't auto the default setting here, as surely it would give the
>> best experience for the majority of users?
>>
>> I'm not a new user, I've been using myth on linux for about 7 years,
>> but this had me stumped for quite a while. I've since checked my main
>> machine, running mythbuntu, and it's interface was set to QT also
>> although it's video has always worked fine. I had always wondered why
>> the myth interface on that computer had been so slow, now I know.
>> Switching it to Auto has made it run a lot better too!

> As far as how you would find the information, it's pretty much as
> described in my rant in the commit message--most users won't.  Only
> those who see a failure (such as you) would continue to look into the
> issue, until they find the setting to change.  Ideally, they would
> either notice http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/10559 or messages on
> the mailing list archive (
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/ ) or ask on the mailing
> list or on IRC and someone would let them know that only OpenGL
> painter works on Mac OS X, and that they should set their Paint Engine
> to Auto.
>
> On the bright side, I'm pretty sure (though I haven't proven) that Qt
> 4.8 has some major changes that mean we use OpenGL even when we don't
> tell Qt to use OpenGL, and I expect it will encourage further changes
> in the future (including better support from video drivers), which may
> allow us to change the default to the sane choice, Auto.
>
> Out of curiosity, which Mythbuntu and which Qt version is on your main
> system?
>
> Also, I'm assuming you have OS X 10.7?  What version of Qt is on that
> system?  (Wonder if the non-functionality may be related to the 4.8
> changes I mentioned above.)

Thanks for the detailed description of the problem. I do understand your
motivations now. Maybe a note on the wiki or something about the OSX
problem would be good, considering I used the binary download links on
there originally to install mythfrontend 0.25 only to find they didn't work.

Yes, I am running 10.7, but used QT version 4.7.4 as was suggested in
other OSX compiling posts as it's the only one available as a universal
binary distribution. In hindsight I really don't need it to be
universal, I could have just used the newer package and stuck to x64 but
I didn't think of that at the time. If I get a chance I'll download 4.8
and recompile to check if that does fix the painter issue. To be honest
I had never suspected QT as the issue when it first hit me, as it was
the video not working I assumed it was an opengl thing.

My main box is running mythbuntu lucid, on an Intel G6950 cpu, using the
built in graphics and the intel driver. I am using newer drivers and
mesa from http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates/ubuntu and
http://ppa.launchpad.net/xorg-edgers/ppa/ubuntu so I guess that's why I
didn't see the problems from switching the interface to opengl the other
night.

MythTV Version : v0.25-beta-173-g111f0ed
MythTV Branch : master
Network Protocol : 72
Library API : 0.25.20120315-2
QT Version : 4.6.2

I've been planning on updating it to 0.25 fixes from the mythbuntu
repository but haven't had a chance lately. It's working well currently
so haven't been to motivated to do so.