[mythtv] MythTV perl bindings vs UTC

Bradley Baetz bbaetz at gmail.com
Sat Nov 3 10:45:44 UTC 2012

Hi,

I've just upgraded to 0.26, and have run into a problem (
http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/1107) with nuvexport that I think might
be an issue with the perl bindings.

The issue is that the perl bindings expose "unix_to_myth_time" and
"myth_to_unix_time". These are definitely wrong with the UTC change in 0.26
(ie myth_to_unix_time is a wrapper around mysql's UNIX_TIMESTAMP that then
corrects for timezones), but I'm not sure what the correct fix is.

The patches I've attached to the trac ticket work for me, but may break
something else. I converted unix_to_myth_time to not use mysql (which I
assume was done because of different DB vs frontend timezones?), but
myth_to_unix_time implicitly accepts whatever mysql does as a format for
the param, so I left it as-is and just called "SET timezone" at the start.

Its not a nice patch, but I'm not sure how willing to break things you are
- maybe take this for 0.26 and remove those two functions entirely in 0.27 ?

The nuvexport change may also break some users (since it uses MySQL to
parse the date format rather than Date::Manip), but it should be now
exactly the same as the other myth utilities that do the same, so I'm
hoping that that's OK.

Thanks,

Bradley