[mythtv] MySQL, Python and Perl versions

Craig Treleaven ctreleaven at cogeco.ca
Fri Nov 16 15:38:11 UTC 2012

Hi:

I'm trying to understand the supported or permitted support software
versions for MySQL, Python and Perl with Myth 0.25.x.

MySQL
Docs say "The minimum MySQL version is 5.0.15." [1]
Hardware profile says 95% of reported users are running v. 5.5 [2]
What is the status of MariaDB and Percona?

[1] http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-3.html#ss3.2
[2] http://smolt.mythtv.org/static/stats/stats.html

Python
0.25 Release Notes say Python 2.6 or 2.7 [3]
Commit for 2.7 support confuses me.  Does it mean you _must_ use
OurSQL with Python 2.7? [4]
Are Python 3+ versions acceptable?

[3] http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Release_Notes_-_0.25#Python_bindings
[4]
http://code.mythtv.org/trac/changeset/2a3b44704cf76764cbca649b3c6456c4e6076eb2/mythtv

Perl
I can't seem to find any documentation of minimum, recommended or
supported Perl versions.  I'm running with 5.12; apparently without
issues.  Available versions seem to range from 5.8 to 5.16?

Thanks,

Craig