[mythtv] MySQL, Python and Perl versions

Daniel Thor Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Mon Nov 19 14:45:01 UTC 2012

On 11/16/2012 10:38 AM, Craig Treleaven wrote:
> Hi:
>
> I'm trying to understand the supported or permitted support software
> versions for MySQL, Python and Perl with Myth 0.25.x.
>
> MySQL
> Docs say "The minimum MySQL version is 5.0.15." [1]
> Hardware profile says 95% of reported users are running v. 5.5 [2]
> What is the status of MariaDB and Percona?

The minimum is still 5.0.15, later versions are supported.
I don't know that anyone has tested MariaDB or Percona.
Longer term we will probably end up just embedding a DB
since we don't really want our users to need to become
competent DBA's to run MythTV.

> Python
<snip> I can't answer these. Raymond Wagner is your man for
python binding questions.

> Perl
> I can't seem to find any documentation of minimum, recommended or
> supported Perl versions.  I'm running with 5.12; apparently without
> issues.  Available versions seem to range from 5.8 to 5.16?
The perl bindings are not actively supported at the moment. We
try to keep them from breaking, but for new projects I recommend
using the python bindings.

-- Daniel