[mythtv] [mythtv-commits] mythtv branch master updated by stuartm. v0.28-pre-557-gd38c80e

Stuart Morgan stuart at tase.co.uk
Tue Dec 17 10:02:08 UTC 2013

On Monday 16 Dec 2013 20:21:09 George Nassas wrote:
> > On Dec 16, 2013, at 4:45 PM, Gary Buhrmaster <gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > I would say you are (late).  See the discussions that started
> > on the users list about a month ago:
> > http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/557695
>
> Cool, thanks.
>
> As a general suggestion/request maybe things like this could be called out
> better. One sentence in a thread with an "ignore me" title seems kind of
> obscure. A post titled "mythweb replacement had started" really gets your
> attention.

I didn't _want_ to draw attention and therefore raise expectations or have to
deal with debates about the merits of the idea until such a time that there is
something more to show.

Mythweb has been unmaintained for a very long time now, broken for weeks or
months at a time before someone finally submits a patch to fix it. The
developers who were responsible for it are MIA, too busy with their day jobs
and the rest of us don't really like having to duplicate what we just wrote in
C++ into PHP. You'll note that mythweb was moved into it's own git repo back
when we switched to git, distanced from the rest of the project. Nothing has
changed there, the commit which started this thread highlights that it may
break mythweb, but there have been many other such commits which didn't
mention that possibility. As far as mythweb goes, it's business as usual.

The new 'WebFrontend' is going to include all useful functionality from
mythweb and more, it will also be maintained. However I've no plans when it's
complete to delete mythweb iff there is anyone out there who cares enough to
keep mythweb alive (present evidence suggests that's not the case).

Since the subject has come up again, those running master can point their
browsers at http://{backendip}:6544 to see what's being worked on. It is a
work in progress and I'd ask people to remember that, there is a lot of
unimplemented and incomplete functionality.
--
Stuart Morgan