[mythtv] [mythtv-commits] mythtv branch master updated by stuarta. v0.27-pre2-697-g2e62ddc

John P Poet jppoet at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 20:36:46 UTC 2013

On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 1:04 PM, Lennart Sorensen <
lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 07:57:13PM +0100, Karl Dietz wrote:
> > On 27.02.2013 15:55, Git Repo Owner wrote:
> > >
> > >- Log -----------------------------------------------------------------
> > >
> > >We really did me iff
> > >After 32b0546e change if back to iff (if and only if)
> > >as we did actually mean that.
> >
> > That's not so nice for us non-native speakers. I'm not sure if using
> > simplified english is a good fit for MythTV but it seems to be targeted
> > at a similar use case. (technical documentation for international teams)
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simplified_Technical_English
>
> Certainly iff is a not very commonly used short form of "if and only if".
> Why not just write "if and only if" rather than iff?

I can't speak to how common it is, but I learned that short-form in
college, 25 years ago.

Even my sister knew what it meant, when I asked her, and she is a
toxicologist.  Based on that, I figured it's use was pretty wide-spread.  I
guess it must just come down to being an English technical term.

John