[mythtv] [mythtv-users] Removing support for CEA-608 teletext subtitles

Stuart Morgan stuart at tase.co.uk
Sat Jul 27 20:17:43 UTC 2013

On Saturday 27 Jul 2013 11:36:16 Jim Stichnoth wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 27, 2013 at 10:33 AM, Stuart Morgan <stuart at tase.co.uk> wrote:
> > As Jim said, CEA-608 subtitles have nothing to do with Teletext and no-one
> > is proposing the removal of Teletext support.
>
> Right.  CEA-608 Teletext is an old, obscure, almost never used corner of
> CEA-608.  Its support complicated the code and was not possible to test
> since no one could produce any samples.

Because I now realise that my post was ambiguous, let me add that CEA-608
Teletext has nothing to do with the Teletext used in the UK, Europe or the rest of
the world. CEA-608 only applied to NTSC (US Analogue TV) and as I understand it,
it was never widely used. To this day, most American's wouldn't know what you
were talking about if you mentioned Teletext.
--
Stuart Morgan
MythTV