[mythtv] http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/10428 not fixed completely?

Jim Stichnoth stichnot at gmail.com
Tue Mar 12 16:04:17 UTC 2013

On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 12:00 PM, Tom Lichti <tom at redpepperracing.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 9:36 AM, Jim Stichnoth <stichnot at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 6:21 AM, Dan Wilga
>> <mythtv-dev2 at dwilga-linux1.amherst.edu> wrote:
>> > On Tue, Mar 5, 2013 at 4:46 PM, Dan Wilga
>> > <mythtv-dev2 at dwilga-linux1.amherst.edu> wrote:
>> >
>> > I don't necessarily think the ticket pointed to by the OP is relevant,
>> due
>> > to the fact that it happened far back from "live". In my case, the
>> recording
>> > device was a PVR-350, in case that matters.
>> >
>> > Actually, thinking about this some more, I think it might *only* be the
>> > PVR-350 where this happens. Contrary to my statement earlier in this
>> thread,
>> > I do sometimes watch recordings from a HDHR (at 1080i) while they are
>> > happening, and that does work as expected. I am also fairly certain I
>> have
>> > not seen this behavior with the HD-PVR.
>>
>> This is good to know.  I have noticed this problem before and it's on
>> my list to investigate, but I never see any problems with HDHR and
>> HD-PVR.  When I get a chance, I'll test with in-progress PVR-150
>> recordings.  (Currently my PVR-150 is just used to get captions for
>> HD-PVR recordings.
>

> Another 'me too'. I do not see this issue on HDHR or HD-PVR recordings,
> only the analog PVR-USB.

I just tested LiveTV with the PVR-150 in Master, and didn't observe any
substantial problem.  Initially there is stuttering because it's trying to
follow too close to live, but pausing a few seconds and resuming fixes it,
even over wireless.

When you see this stuttering, try the following.  In the OSD Playback menu,
select Playback > Playback data, and watch the real-time information
display on the screen.  If the Available Buffer entry is hovering near
0-5%, it indicates following too closely to real time, and you are also
likely to see mythfrontend log messages like "Waited XXXms for video
buffers ..." which just means that the video frames are being starved for
data.  If this is not the case, I would be very interested to get a
description of the kind of data the Playback Data overlay is showing.

Jim