[mythtv] Editing the Category

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Mar 26 17:28:50 UTC 2013

On 03/26/2013 01:12 PM, Tom Lichti wrote:
> Mike, this looks quite promising. Are you (as in the devs) also
> looking at using the 'tag' system to tag recordings and videos, so
> that media is 'type agnostic', in that a tag view could contain both
> classic 'recordings' and/or classic 'videos'? By classic I mean 'the
> current MythTV method of identifying the different file sources'.
> Maybe 'legacy' is a better term to use, but regardless, that would
> make my life a lot easier in terms of being able to present a
> converged (yes, I am using that term in full knowledge of how it
> pertains to MythTV) view of content. I won't use the term synergistic,
> it's too Enterprise-y :)
>
> I look forward to this functionality, I think it will be a huge leap
> in flexibility for the project.

Well, I can tell you for sure that eventually videos in the Video
Library will support tags, too--we're going to (= others are waiting on
some work I promised to) move the schema so that recordings and Video
Library videos both share common schema structure and metadata, now that
Video Library is part of the core of MythTV.  At this point, moving a
recording to Video Library would be as simple as clicking a button or
checking a box in the UI (and, theoretically, you could choose to just
show it in both Video Library and Watch Recordings).

As for whether you will be able to see media, regardless of location, I
can't answer that, yet.  I really want that capability (because why
should visitors at my house have to know whether the video they want to
watch is in Watch Recordings or in Video Library--or for that matter,
why should they have to know whether it's a video or music or ...), but
other developers don't seem so enamored with the idea.  I think that may
be because most of them are thinking "if I have to use Watch Recordings
interface for all my 10000 videos in my collection, I'll go mad" (for
those with large collections of video and who prefer Video Library) or
"I used MythVideo in 0.13 and don't like the interface (or I used
MythVideo in 0.26 and I hate the interface--not knowing they have it
misconfigured) so I don't want to have to use it for my recordings" (for
those who primarily use TV, now).  In my vision, we'd use the
opportunity to improve both "views" and actually take advantage of the
consolidation of metadata.  But, this change will be harder to "prove"
to those who don't like the idea--especially since I'm terrible with UI
design (but I'll cross that bridge--and ask for help--when I get to it).

Mike