[mythtv] Editing the Category

George Nassas gnassas at mac.com
Wed Mar 27 04:21:35 UTC 2013

On 2013-03-26, at 12:07 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:

> recording group (which I'll eventually convert to tags) as a means of filtering and/or sorting

This tagging business sounds great but I wonder about the open ended nature of it. Almost immediately I'm going to want to know the list of possible tags relating to recording group, or tuner, or whatever. Assuming there's going to be a db table with all the tag names I'd suggest a "namespace" column to help with structuring the tags. Maybe such a thing has already been discussed but didn't come out in the description. If not, I'd like to put it in the suggestion box. Namespaced tags + services API access = killer feature that will take a blue ribbon at the state fair.

I think the proper term for what I'm talking about is "taxonomy" but nobody knows what that is unless they studied library science or configured a drupal site.

> which input was used to record a show is that the information is generally meaningless long term.

I have an OTA setup with 2 antennae and 5 tuners and a busy schedule which means tuner assignments are nearly random. When a particular antenna/channel/tuner combination is problematic it can be hard to pick out the pattern so having the tuner recorded gives me the edge I need. I'd say tuner information is essential and insignificant in therms of disk space, IO performance, or whatever.

-George