[mythtv] MythTV Forums

Martin Thwaites mythtv-dev at my2cents.co.uk
Tue Feb 11 13:03:15 UTC 2014

On 11 February 2014 12:08, Brian J. Murrell <brian at interlinx.bc.ca> wrote:

> On Mon, 2014-02-10 at 16:25 +0000, Martin Thwaites wrote:
> > In regards to not checking the forum... set up a subscription, then
> you'll
> > get an e-mail everytime a new post is done.
>
> Ahhh.  So, you mean receive an e-mail that does nothing but tell me to
> start another and/or switch applications to go log in somewhere else and
> check a webpage.  All to read some textual content typically buried in a
> low signal-to-noise format -- decorated with and distracted by all
> manner of flashing and animated avatars and signature blocks and
> whatnot?

Based on that, it appears you've not used forum subscriptions so I don't
think you are qualified to make any comments on the matter.

On point I will accept is the flashing stuff, I hope these are disallowed
as they do distract from the purpose.

> Mmmhmm.
>
> But yes, this is my biggest gripe with forums.  It's a polling
> architecture.  I have to think/remember to go check periodically,
> _just_in_case_ there is something new.  Every software architect should
> understand the inefficiencies of polling vs. event driven architectures.
>
> And yes, I can have an event delivered to me instead of polling, per
> above, but it's an event that asks me to switch contexts to get the
> information instead of just delivering the information with the event.
> Again, every software architect should understand the inefficiencies of
> such an architecture.

Just because there are inefficiencies in an approach, doesn't make it the
wrong approach.  Every approach has inefficiencies.  To a user not familiar
with Mailing lists, getting up to speed with how they work is inefficient
when they know how to use forums.  So by your logic, we should neither have
a forum, nor a mailing list.

Like it or not, in the customer facing world (not development), forums are
the norm... as a wise man once said, sometimes it's easier to wear slippers
than try and carpet the world!

Martin