[mythtv] MythWeb

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Wed Jan 29 21:04:40 UTC 2014

On Wed, Jan 29, 2014 at 12:33 PM, Michael T. Dean
<mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> On 01/29/2014 11:59 AM, Steve Campbell wrote:
>

> I'd argue that the best language for the job is the language in which the
> code is already written and will continue to be written...  In other words,
> for any other language, we have to write the code twice, once in C++ with Qt
> framework for MythTV applications and once in "the best web language" for
> MythWeb.

I'd say you've nailed it right there.  Unless for some reason the
language used for the existing code is somehow unusable for a web
interface, the choice to leverage existing code wins every time.

Oddly enough, the company I'm with had essentially the opposite
situation.  The original application (primarily web based) was all
written in php and runs in a Linux VM appliance.  When we needed to
add a number of system daemons (discovery processes and monitors etc),
we wrote them in php as well...probably the /last/ language you'd
choose for writing any such thing, but guess what...they work
flawlessly and leverage years of existing work.

Tom