[mythtv] Fwd: MYTHTV -> GPL Violation (someone violating Mythtv GPL License)

Warpme warpme at o2.pl
Wed Jun 11 09:40:01 UTC 2014

On 09/06/14 22:52, Bradley M. Kuhn wrote:
> On 7 June 2014 07:39, Stuart Morgan <stuart at tase.co.uk> wrote:
>>> Please don't. Chris sent this to the wrong list, it was meant for the
>>> private developer only list.  .... I'm sure it's just a mis-
>>> understanding.
> Jean-Yves Avenard replied later that day:
>> there's never any excuses for GPL violations, unless you have are
>> copyright holder and can change the license of your own work.
> In my experience in doing GPL enforcement work on a regular basis for 20
> years, most GPL violations are in fact misunderstandings, as Stuart
> points out, and are best resolved privately.  I've written a number of
> blog posts on this subject.  This one from November 2009 might be the
> most relevant to the situation at hand:
>         http://ebb.org/bkuhn/blog/2009/11/08/gpl-enforcement.html
>
> The advice from Stuart above are, in fact, two of my main bullet points
> therein. :)
>
> Sincerely,
Bradley, Stuart,

I really appreciate Your attitude to current situation.

I'm really glad that we have here persons which want to first discover
situation, understand my motivations for temporarily not providing
minimyth2 sources - and only after this finally make judgments &
eventually taking enforcement.

Let me explain shortly my position on problem.

Source code is visit card of author. While I'm not software developer by
profession - I still want to maintain reputation of somebody who tries
do things correctly, elegant and with high quality.
Publishing my work also means taking responsibility for maintaining it.
Even if code will be published as unsupported - replaying remainders
about this, answering questions, etc creates extra burden for me and my
current situation+priorities and nor ready for this.

Current minimyth2 sources:
-due issues with some upstreams cross-compile errors -  are not
compiling without manual interventions (and some of them are danger for
host os)
-in many places code is not rewritten from POC code to production code
-documentation isn't finished and not fully synced with current code.
Above arguments directed me to decision about delay with publishing sources.
Nevertheless, I want to underline: I'm fully aware about potential GPL
violation and I HAVE plans to publish sources.

In above context we can consider publishing of minimyth2 binaries as
premature move.
I do this as I want to gather feedback about errors, see demand, collect
new features requests.

If community believes it is unacceptable to provide binaries and not
providing sources during next month or two - then I will fully
understand this and I'm ready to withdrawal binaries from minimyth2 site.

Pls let me know what You think

br

BTW: One again thx for way how you are approaching this!