[mythtv-firehose] mythtv/master commit: c54b2050b by Stuart Morgan (stuartm)

MythTV noreply at mythtv.org
Sun Jan 8 19:06:18 UTC 2012

      Author:  Stuart Morgan <smorgan at mythtv.org>
 Change Date:  2012-01-08T10:38:42-08:00
   Push Date:  2012/01/08 11:06:10 -0800
  Repository:  mythtv
      Branch:  master
New Revision:  c54b2050b319dd6bede4385594738b5ebc104c3c
   Changeset:  https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/commit/c54b2050b

Log:

Remove the dvd drive speed setting

Reasons for this include:

In testing dvd playback was most consistent error free at just 1x whereas speeds
up to the maximum of 12x were liable to result in the drive spinning down
between reads causing video buffers to starve.

1x is the quietest speed so it also has that going for it.

Removing drive speed as a variable means we can more easily tune read buffers
to work for everyone.

Fewer settings means a simpler configuration and end-user experience.

Higher speeds did not significantly improve seek or playback start times. I also
tested various discs with timestretch at 1.5x and observed no issues with drive
speed at 1x.

Modified:

   mythtv/libs/libmythtv/dvdringbuffer.cpp
   mythtv/programs/mythfrontend/videoglobalsettings.cpp