[Mythtv-soc] MythTV Autoconfiguration Status

Kenny Root kenny at the-b.org
Mon Jul 24 15:36:29 UTC 2006

I have been working on the automatic backend discovery
mechanism using UPnP which seems to work. However, I ran
into a snag in my own setup since I have multiple subnets
in my house. The test MythTV master backend supports jumbo
frames and is on a different segment than my test MythTV
clients, so UPnP doesn't work very well. I'm investigating
ways to get around this. Multicast DNS is well-established
in that it has servers that help you bridge subnets. I'm
looking at writing my own implementation of mDNS for
MythTV so I can get support for multiple subnets while
leveraging existing (well-known) packages on the router.