[Mythtv-soc] MythWeather-revamp: Status report 7/28/2006

Lucien D. ldunning at gmail.com
Fri Jul 28 23:02:29 UTC 2006

    This week I have finished the ndfd.pl script, it now returns 6 days of
forecast data, including min/max temps and weather icons.  I also added a
cache mechanism so that it only hits the server once per hour, as requested by
the NWS.

    I've also written a 6 day forecast screen to make use of this data.  Along
with this I update the UI of the 3 day screen to be more consistent, I think its
an improvement over the old, but I welcome comment, below are screenshots of
each using MythCenter theme. If people prefer the old, I can easily include both
of them and users can choose which they want.
    http://www.cs.rit.edu/~lbd7466/MythCenter_3Day.png
    http://www.cs.rit.edu/~lbd7466/MythCenter_6Day.png

    Its nice that all my work is paying off now,  Adding screens is pretty easy,
I just write scripts to provide the data, then layout the screen in the xml
file and I'm good to go.

I have three things immediately on my todo list:
    -Write a screen/script to get severe data alerts; Along with this I'm going
    to make it so that when new weather alerts are received it sends them to the
    on screen display. Because of this additional functionality I may write some
    way for screens to have additional configuration beyond location/units.

    -Write another source using the Weather::Com module, this will use
    weather.com and will provide international data.

    -Figure out exactly how I want to do location searches and implement it.

-Lucien