[mythtv-theming] Demo theme for learning MythUI

Robert McNamara robert.mcnamara at gmail.com
Tue Apr 28 22:57:49 UTC 2009

Hi guys,

Stuart Morgan (who, in case you didn't know, is our MythUI
author/guru) began working on a demo theme to show MythUI capable of
the exact same visual effects found in many other popular media center
apps a while back, and generously allowed me to upload it and share it
with you guys for instructional purposes.  You can find the download
link on the MythUI Demo Theme page at the wiki:

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/MythUI_Demo_Theme

If you are looking for a totally useable-in-production theme, you are
probably going to be frustrated-- the menu is entirely undone, as are
many of the screens.  The various screens of MythVideo and the
scheduler are themed to look like some familiar faces, though, and
there is a wealth of knowledge here about MythUI style, tips and
tricks, and formatting.  Stuart is also very familiar with good
theming code practices, so following his formatting would be really
helpful too.

I want to stress that if you are looking for something for your daily
use, you may come away frustrated-- but if you want to be able to look
at an image and say "Hey, how'd he do that?" and check the code for a
good, clean, recommended approach, this is the place to look.  I have
slightly modified this copy of the code to use the new fanart and
banner stuff, but it's otherwise as it was given to me.

Download the theme, try it out, and bring questions back here.  For
those of you out there starting on themes, any mockups to share?  Feel
free to post theme here and those of us with a bit of practice may be
able to offer some advice on how to accomplish what you want most
easily.

Robert