[mythtv-theming] mythtv-theming Digest, Vol 10, Issue 3

Justin Garrison rothgar at 1n73r.net
Fri Jan 8 05:30:13 UTC 2010

I have started my theme (but I don't think I will be finished by the
deadline). But I have a few questions and would like to see if I could get
some help.

1. Where do experienced themer's suggest starting when building a theme from
scratch? I started with the idea of slowly editing other themes until I
learned the MythUI enough and then edit images/text/etc. to completely
change a theme but these themes get so big I think I would be better off
starting from scratch and learning as I go. But if I start from scratch I
need to start with menu-ui.xml (actually start with base.xml) and work my
way out. That leads me to my second question.

2. Is there a way to start the frontend with a specific theme?(such as
"mythfrontend --theme=mytheme") If I go to the menu -> utilities ->
apperance... and change the theme there my theme doesn't start because I
don't have the utilities window themed. All I have themed so far is the main
menu but I haven't found a way to just see my main menu and then close myth
and open with another theme.

thank you for your help and I plan on working on these theme actively to try
and make the deadline but I think the learning curve might be too great.
Especially when doing the theme by myself.

--
Justin Garrison
1n73r.net