[mythtv-theming] Blue-abstract update and applying for the competition

trebor_s at web.de trebor_s at web.de
Mon Jan 25 15:37:30 UTC 2010

On Sun, 24 Jan 2010 15:59:40 -0800, Robert McNamara
<robert.mcnamara at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 24, 2010 at 3:40 PM,  <trebor_s at web.de> wrote:
>> Hi everybody,
>>
>> a new theme version is out! It now includes themed screens for the new
>> great
>> MythNetVision and the MythArchive plugins! Check it out! And I also
take
>> part in the theming competition. Do I need to send the latest theme
>> version
>> somewhere?
>>
>> Best regards
>>
>> Robert S
>>

> Robert,
>
> I am glad to see that you are keeping your theme up to date.  Nice
> work.  I do have a bit of a concern about its eligibility for the
> competition, however.  Your theme borrows most of its widgets from
> Graphite, and the theme competition rules specifically bar themes
> whose work is not solely your own.  While it is acceptable to get
> inspiration from other themes, borrowing all the widget artwork is a
> bit outside of what I had in mind when I wrote the rules.  The hope
> was to get many entirely-new themes whose work was 100% original, and
> the rules were meant to reflect that.
>
> Robert

Hello Robert,

sad to hear that you have concerns about my theme and the eligibility for
the competition. I do have borrowed the look of the buttons and menues and
some icons from graphite. If I find a good idea/replacement for the look of
the buttons I might change them, but not before the deadline.
My primary interest was to create a theme that looks modern and complete.
I have looked at all themes and they all lacked some important screens
(mythmusic, now netvision, ...) and had some misalignments in the layout or
look and feel. But this is only my opinion and no offense at all.

I know it is up to you and the other devs to decide weather to allow
blue-abstract to take part in the competition. Other than that it would be
nice to see this theme someday included in the themes that get shipped with
MythTV.

Best regards

Robert S