[mythtv-theming] Mythbuntu theme discussion info

Thomas Mashos thomas at mashos.com
Tue Aug 21 15:14:57 UTC 2012

As most of you have probably noticed, there have been some recent
updates to the Mythbuntu theme in both 0.25 and 0.26. As I've recently
taken over developing the theme and been receiving patches from
people, I wanted to put a reminder out where things needed to go.

Bugs - Theme bugs can be discussed here, although I'd much rather have
the discussion in a bug report on Launchpad
(https://bugs.launchpad.net/mythbuntu/+filebug) or even the Mythbuntu
One thing is for certain, the bug will NOT get fixed without a
Launchpad bug report, so file a bug report.

New/Changed Functionality - Up to this point, I've applied all patches
locally, tested, and as long as it worked and I wasn't completely
against it I committed it to github. I'm going to start being a little
more picky in patch acceptance for new features/changed functionality.
If you submit a patch that changes functionality or adds new features,
it should probably be attached to a mailing list thread here or on the
Mythbuntu mailing list. The Mythbuntu team reserves the right to
commit patches we see as a good change with little or no discussion
(eg. if we see a patch on the list and it makes sense we'll probably
just add it, no need for a bunch of red tape)

Patches - It's easiest for me to take merge requests on github,
however I'll take patches here as well (or attached to bug reports on
Launchpad or the Mythbuntu mailing list). A patch should only change 1
portion of the theme (eg. changes to the OSD and video menus shouldn't
be in the same patch). If there is a good reason that multiple things
are getting changed in a single patch, I'll might accept it, but it
should be a good reason. Patches also need to come with some
description of what was changed. An example of a good way to list what
is changing in a patch is below.

recordings-ui.xml
* Use brightness to clearly tell the user where current focus is.
* Related to the above, actually make the cursor work like a cursor!
  No more leaving a copy behind in the left pane while browsing on the
  right. (Brightness is used to still indicate the active entry in the
  unfocused pane.)
* Remove scrolling from category display (last holdout of the brief
  scrolling experiment). Instead use multiline and a smaller font to
  hopefully gracefully display categories no matter how (reasonably)
  long they might be or what language they are in.

Thanks,

Thomas Mashos