[mythtv-theming] background for Setup / General screen

Joey Morris rjmorris at nc.rr.com
Sat Dec 29 04:27:48 UTC 2012

I was trying to change the background image for my theme, and I
noticed that the new image wasn't being picked up in some of the Setup
screens, for example General and Appearance. After some trial and
error, I finally realized that those screens look for their background
image in themeroot/background.png. It doesn't appear that I can change
this path in my theme. (I had reorganized things to move all the
images, including background.png, to an images subdirectory. As a
result, those screens could no longer find their background image.)

I'm assuming this is because those screens haven't been updated to
MythUI yet. I'm still on 0.25. Have they been updated in 0.26? I
didn't see it mentioned in the release notes. If there are no imminent
plans to update these screens to MythUI, I might add something to the
wiki about this.

My original goal was not to use a background image at all. I just
wanted a solid black background. My first attempt was to define the
backgroundwindow window in base.xml to contain a solid black shape
widget. That worked fine for most screens. However, on those Setup
screens, the lack of an actual image caused problems. As I cycled
through the various screens in General, the widgets from the previous
screens did not go away. The widgets from the new screen were simply
drawn on top of the old ones, which quickly became a mess.

So the moral of the story seems to be: Create an image to use as the
background, even if your desired background can be accomplished with a
shape widget. In addition, don't get cute with the location of the
image, just store it in themeroot/background.png (maybe it will also
look for background.jpg).

Can anyone confirm that my understanding of all this is correct?