[mythtv-theming] Theme Chooser and directory names with dots

Yeechang Lee ylee at pobox.com
Mon Oct 8 13:30:27 UTC 2012

(I have been lately assisting Thomas Mashos with maintaining the
Mythbuntu theme.)

Joey Morris <rjmorris at nc.rr.com> says:
> The first thing I did was change the wrapstyle for all button lists
> from "none" to "selection".

Agreed. I was aware of this issue still existing in the list view in
MythVideo, but no doubt there are others that were missed. Fixed by
modifying the basebuttonlist primitive in base.xml, but it's possible
there are other obscure menus that still don't wrap because they don't
inherit from basebuttonlist or basebuttonlist2.

> Most of my other changes are things that I wouldn't expect to have
> general appeal. For example, in the details section of the
> highlighted recording on the Watch Recordings screen, I replaced the
> start/end date with the length in minutes.

I seriously considered making this change by addding %LENMINS% to the
existing %TIMEDATE% field. I ultimately decided to not do so because
there isn't enough room in the lower pane. The time display there can
get very long, especially in non-English languages or if you're like
me and use a particularly verbose longdate format. I could give
another 100 pixels to the field, but then particularly long channel
names to its left would run out of room (National Geographic Channel,
Turner Network Television, etc.)

%LENMINS% is used with %TIMEDATE% in the OSD where there is more room,
and (more to the point) the field is useful for DVDs for which
%TIMEDATE% is meaningless.

> There was one bug: In video-ui.xml, the breadcrumbs textarea in the
> tree window doesn't extend all the way across the screen. I changed
> its width from 740 to 1220.

Thank you for catching this. That it does not extend all the way
across is an artifact of the theme's previous maintainers; they chose
a visual identity for the theme that emphasized, among other things, a
title bar of that length and a secondary display (a clock or something
else) in the remaining space. While I've tried to maintain that visual
identity whenever practical, in this case--given the space
requirements of the breadcrumbs and since there is no secondary
display in this MythVideo view--it makes more sense to lengthen the
breadcrumbs. (It also makes sense to use <cutdown>left</cutdown>
because the end of the breadcrumb is more meaningful than the start.)

Both this fix and the menu-wrapping fix will be in the next set of
patches I send to Thomas.

--
Yeechang Lee <ylee at pobox.com> | San Francisco