[mythtv-theming] Simpler TV usage (with keyboard) GUI

Jason Taylor killerkiwi2005 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 27 08:10:58 UTC 2012

Customize the menu.. I do this all the time my menu reads

View Recordings
Program Guide
Videos
Music
Advanced Recording
Setup

Create a file ~/.mythtv/themes/defaultmenu/mainmenu.xml

Put in

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
<!-- Put file in ~/.mythtv/themes/defaultmenu/mainmenu.xml -->
<mythmenu name="MAIN">

    <button>
        <type>TV_WATCH_RECORDINGS</type>
        <text>Watch Recordings</text>
        <description>Browse all recordings</description>
        <action>TV_WATCH_RECORDING All Programs</action>
    </button>

    <button>
        <type>TV_PROGRAM_GUIDE</type>
        <text>Program Guide</text>
        <description>Choose programs from a grid-style list</description>
        <action>TV_SCHEDULE</action>
    </button>
    <button>
        <type>VIDEO_BROWSER</type>
        <text>Watch Videos</text>
        <description>Browse your video library</description>
        <action>JUMP Video Default</action>
    </button>
    <button>
        <type>MUSIC_PLAY</type>
        <text>Listen to Music</text>
        <description>Browse your music library</description>
        <action>JUMP Play music</action>
        <depends>mythmusic</depends>
    </button>
    <button>
        <type>MENU_MANAGE_RECORDINGS</type>
        <text>Manage Recordings</text>
        <description>Pick and prioritize recordings</description>
        <action>MENU manage_recordings.xml</action>
    </button>
 <button>
        <type>MENU_UTILITIES_SETUP</type>
        <text>Utilities / Setup</text>
        <description>Configure MythTV and plugins</description>
        <action>MENU util_menu.xml</action>
    </button>

</mythmenu>

Then restart mythtv

On 27 September 2012 11:34, Joey Morris <rjmorris at nc.rr.com> wrote:

> Brendon Costa <brendon.j.costa at gmail.com> wrote on Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at
> 09:02:30AM +1000:
> > The big issue I have with the Myth user interface (Using 0.24 right now)
> is
> > that to schedule recordings, I have to go into maybe 4 different menus to
> > bring up the guide.
>
> You can assign a key combo to bring up the program guide or other
> "jump points". I can hit Alt+G to bring up the guide from whereever I
> am in the menus. Similarly Alt+R takes me to Watch Recordings and
> Alt+T takes me to Live TV.
>

> > But even worse it that to watch live TV, it seems like I can't just use
> the
> > guide to switch to live TV. I can only use that guide to schedule
> > recordings.
> >
> > In media portal, if you pressed enter on an entry that was showing *now*
> it
> > would just start watching it. In Myth I can't seem to do this, I have to
> go
> > back out to the top level menu, go to Watch TV then hit the 'S' key (of
> all
> > things....) bring up a "live tv guide" and then select what I want to
> watch.
>
> Even though many people use MythTV for watching live TV, I think
> you'll find that it's geared more towards recorded TV, and therefore
> that gets more development focus. When I first started using MythTV I
> too looked for a way to start watching a channel live directly from
> the program guide, but I didn't figure out how. Eventually I realized
> I'd rather record it than watch it live, anyway. To record something
> and immediately start watching it, you could hit R to record, then
> Alt+R to jump to Watch Recordings, then arrow to it and hit Enter to
> start watching.

"Weekends don't count unless you spend them doing something completely
pointless. " - Calven