[mythtv-theming] What fonts are guaranteed to be on a Linux box?

Thomas Mashos thomas at mashos.com
Wed Aug 21 19:51:58 UTC 2013

On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 12:48 PM, Michael T. Dean
<mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> On 08/21/2013 01:20 PM, Thomas Mashos wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 10:09 AM, Yeechang Lee  wrote:
>>
>>> I am part of the Mythbuntu theme team and am planning to provide a
>>> osd_subtitle.xml in the 0.27 version or earlier to fix some font
>>> issues that exist with the fallback default vesion. Since the theme
>>> does not ship with any fonts I'd like it to be work "out of the box"
>>> as much as possible.
>>>
>>> Given the theme's origin and heavy reliance elsewhere I can assume
>>> that the Ubuntu fonts will be available (although I had to install
>>> them on my Linux and Mac frontends given that I don't use
>>> Ubuntu/Mythbuntu myself). What other fonts, however, can I rely on to
>>> be available on a reasonably modern MythTV box? Do distributions ship
>>> with Liberation? Bitstream? DejaVu? Droid? Or is the simplest thing to
>>> have the theme ship with some free fonts?
>

> That's definitely the safest approach--it ensures it will work on any
> system, regardless of installed fonts.
>
> To distribute the font, just put a *.ttf, *.otf, or *.ttc anywhere within
> the theme directory structure.  See
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/commits/424598#424598 for more.
>

>> I'd like to keep the Ubuntu font as the main font being used, I think
>> it looks great but I'm open to other suggestions as well. If that
>> doesn't exist on the box, I believe the theme falls back to something
>> like dejavu or something like that.
>

> Is it possible (licensing wise, etc.) to ship the Ubuntu font with the
> Mythbuntu theme?  If so, that would ensure it works properly on all systems
> without the problems caused by font substitution (where different fonts take
> different amounts of space, so some text gets cut off for some people
> depending on what font they got).
>
> Mike

Yes, I believe it can be

>From http://font.ubuntu.com/ufl/

PERMISSION & CONDITIONS

This licence does not grant any rights under trademark law and all
such rights are reserved.

Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining
a copy of the Font Software, to propagate the Font Software, subject
to the below conditions:

Each copy of the Font Software must contain the above copyright notice
and this licence. These can be included either as stand-alone text
files, human-readable headers or in the appropriate machine-readable
metadata fields within text or binary files as long as those fields
can be easily viewed by the user.
The font name complies with the following:

The Original Version must retain its name, unmodified.
Modified Versions which are Substantially Changed must be renamed to
avoid use of the name of the Original Version or similar names
entirely.
Modified Versions which are not Substantially Changed must be renamed to both

retain the name of the Original Version and
add additional naming elements to distinguish the Modified Version
from the Original Version. The name of such Modified Versions must be
the name of the Original Version, with "derivative X" where X
represents the name of the new work, appended to that name.

The name(s) of the Copyright Holder(s) and any contributor to the Font
Software shall not be used to promote, endorse or advertise any
Modified Version, except

as required by this licence,
to acknowledge the contribution(s) of the Copyright Holder(s) or
with their explicit written permission.

The Font Software, modified or unmodified, in part or in whole, must
be distributed entirely under this licence, and must not be
distributed under any other licence. The requirement for fonts to
remain under this licence does not affect any document created using
the Font Software, except any version of the Font Software extracted
from a document created using the Font Software may only be
distributed under this licence.

Thanks,

Thomas Mashos