[mythtv-theming] Mythbuntu theme feedback. Changes are a coming

Martin Moores moores.martin at gmail.com
Sun Sep 1 09:13:52 UTC 2013

On 30 August 2013 22:41, Thomas Mashos <thomas at mashos.com> wrote:

> I've made some changes to the Mythbuntu theme for 0.27. Only to the
> recording and video (browser view) screens. I did this to try and show
> more fanart. Here are some screenshots
>
> http://imagebin.org/269181
> http://imagebin.org/269182
> http://imagebin.org/269183
>
> Notice on the first two one is with the group highlighted, the other
> is with the recordings highlighted. The recordings shift to the left
> side when active in order to show the description on the right.
>
> The last one is the mythvideo one, it still shows the fanart on the
> complete background, but for some reason it didn't grab the background
> when I did the screenshot via SSH
>

> Thanks,
>
> Thomas Mashos

Hi Thomas,

Firstly, thanks for this theme.  I have been through every single one
during my time with myth and yours is the only one that works right for
me.  But I see these changes as a move away from this and more like some of
the others I didn't get on with that well.  Just one users opinion of
course!

On the recordings screen, this seems like less fanart, rather than more?
At the moment, with a recording selected, I get a screenshot, "DVD" type
cover and the large background image.  On your screenshot, only the large
background image is shown now.  This is like most other themes, that don't
show these other images at all, which is a real shame.  With transparency
etc I can still see the large background image fine and think it is better
as background, behind the main text, rather than being centre of attention.

Current recordings screen example - http://i.imgur.com/AyA5BOg.jpg

Also, having only 5 recording items shown rather than the current 11 would
make things harder when scrolling through a long list on a remote, over
running what your after and then scrolling back up for example?  Think I
would have to try this before dismissing completely I guess, but as
mentioned above, having transparent text over the background image is fine
in my opinion.

With the videos screen, I would just say the same as above, not having the
screen filled with videos seems like a waste in my opinion and the reason I
use your theme, as I think yours is the only one that does this right, by
not having a single vertical/horizontal list of videos to scroll through,
which would just take ages, but a full page, using all the space.  But, to
be fair, your new screen shows 13 items compared to the current 15 items,
which makes 13 total screens compared to 11 (rounded up) on my largest
folder which has 158 items.

Anyway, I know you haven't asked for opinions, but saw this post and
thought I would send some anyway!

Cheers

Martin