[mythtv-theming] Mythbuntu theme feedback. Changes are a coming

Yeechang Lee ylee at pobox.com
Mon Sep 2 13:45:58 UTC 2013

Joey Morris <rjmorris.list at zoho.com> says:
> I wonder if any usability studies have been done on the optimal number
> of items to display on a single page of a paged list. A quick web
> search didn't turn up anything useful.

Don't forget visibility from across the room, which often goes hand in
hand with this. One of the reasons I chose the Mythbuntu theme despite
never having used any variant of Ubuntu, and later began working on
the theme, was its visibility. Many other themes seem to be written
for those using MythFrontend sitting in front a desktop, instead of
designed around the proverbial "10-foot interface".

> This argues for supporting both "big jumps" and "small jumps"
> through the list. A small jump might be 1 page, while a big jump
> might be 5 pages. Or a big jump might happen by pressing 8 and
> moving to the 80% point in the list. I think I've seen some
> discussion on the list about MythTV supporting this or something
> similar.

Aain, I point to the PAGETOP, PAGEBOTTOM, and PAGEMIDDLE bindings;
they are a huge help in navigating through lists with hundreds or
thousands of entries. I have them bound to 2, 8, and 5 respectively.

--
Yeechang Lee <ylee at pobox.com> | San Francisco