[Mythtv-translators] suggestion to remove locations from translations

Kenni Lund kenni at kelu.dk
Fri Oct 1 20:25:55 UTC 2010

2010/10/1 ikke <ikke at iki.fi>:
> I suggest someone would do a separate commit only for removing the
> code line reference  locations in *.ts files. They just generate lot
> of distracting noise while doing svn diff after doing lupdate.

Yes, they do generate a lot of noise, but they're needed for Qt
linguist to show the related source code. In many cases you would not
be able to do a correct/good translation of a string, without looking
at the context of the string. The same word can have a different
meaning in two different contexts.

But why do you consider this a problem? If it's because you want to
review your own patch, then just filter out the unwanted lines with
grep or similar, when you're doing the review of your patch.

> If that's not ok for all, please do it at least for the finnish
> translations now that there  is patch coming in (9039).

I'm sorry, but I don't think that it would be a good idea...even if we
(or you) generate the Finnish *.ts files with the "-locations none"
argument, then once someone else (me, knightr or another Finnish
contributor) updates the .ts file, the code line references will get
added again...and knightr and I will almost certainly begin to run
lupdate regularly on all languages to keep the files somewhat up to
date.

For now, the policy is that we run with the "-locations absolute"
argument, since this is considered a helping hand for translators.
Also, the size of the patch shouldn't really have any negative impact
on the translators work (unless of course if the translator is
reviewing the patch in detail himself - but this shouldn't be needed,
knightr and I will do this if needed, before committing to SVN).

Best Regards
Kenni