[Mythtv-translators] MythWeb translation problem

Nicolas Riendeau knight at teksavvy.com
Fri Sep 24 11:31:40 UTC 2010

Hi Rune!

On 9/23/2010 3:56 PM, Rune Evjen wrote:
> I checked and double checked the .lang file, replaced all special
> characters, and verified the file encoding.

OK...

> But then I checked the Norwegian_NB.cat file, and there the answer was!
>    file -i Norwegian_NB.cat
>    Norwegian_NB.cat: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1

Hmm.. Good catch!

> After I updated the file with the correct encoding (and updating som
> regex strings) everything was fine.
>
> But it is a strange thing, since this is the output for the Danish translation:
>    file -i Danish.cat
>    Danish.cat: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1

That's very peculiar considering that file clearly has UTF-8 encoded
characters.

(You can see many multibyte characters in that file.)

UTF-8 and ISO-8859-1 do share some character positions and both are
supersets of US ASCII but these characters are not encoded in the same way.

The BOM (Byte Order Mark) could help identify one format over the other
but as far as I can remember that's not mandatory...

I wonder how "file" identifies the file character encoding...

> So possibly/probably/maybe I might have had a spelling error in the
> regex portion of the .cat file which I fixed in the
> convert-to-utf8-process.

I guess so...

> Thank you for the response and the help.

No problem!

Have a nice day!

Nicolas