[Mythtv-translators] Translation for Traditional Chinese

Kenni Lund kenni at kelu.dk
Sat Feb 5 11:46:34 UTC 2011

2011/2/5 Walter Cheuk <wwycheuk at gmail.com>:
> Hi all,
>
> My name is Walter Cheuk and I am going to do some improvement over the
> translations for Traditional Chinese (ISO code: zh_tw). The front end
> was partially translated and there is a language entry 'Hanzi
> (Traditional)' in the settings page, but I didn't find the
> corresponding files under 'i18n' dir. How can I access the existing
> .ts file? Thank you.

Hi Walter,

I don't see any 'Hanzi (Traditional)' language entry in the settings
page, is it because you're looking at a MythTV 0.22/0.23 frontend?
Before MythTV 0.24, some of the menus were translated in various
theme-related XML files. But since this approach had been replaced
with the QT translation system (the .ts and .qm files) back in 0.23,
the last XML translations were finally deleted before the release of
0.24.

So the .ts/.qm files for zh_tw have never existed, you'll need to
create them. Open up mythtv/i18n/translate.pro with a text editor and
add "mythfrontend_zh_tw.ts" to the end of the list of languages. Also,
add the corresponding .qm file to the i18n.pro file. Once you run
lupdate/lrelease the next time, the files will get created. See also:
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Translation#What_to_do_if_the_translation_file_does_not_already_exist

If you want to copy-paste some of the old zh_tw menu translations, you
should be able to find them here:
https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/commit/9604a136
https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/commit/8b50efbf
http://code.mythtv.org/trac/attachment/ticket/8808/delete_mythplugins_xml_translations.diff