[Mythtv-translators] Translation and locale configurations

Nicolas Riendeau knight at teksavvy.com
Tue Oct 18 23:18:34 UTC 2011

Hi!

On 10/18/2011 6:42 PM, Walter Cheuk wrote:
>>> * Can I add extra characters (Chinese characters, for example) to the
>>> 'date' or 'time' formats?

What would you like to add?

>> If the date and time format is using templated text in the theme, you
>> can translate that part.  You cannot, however, translate the "raw"
>> date and time data.
>
> Thank you for reply. If I can only choose from fixed format programmed
> in MythTV itself like 'mmm d yyyy' or 'dd mm', how can I translate
> that?

You have to choose one of the date formats offered by MythTV (I do
believe though that it wouldn't be a problem to add another one if it
was needed).

The date formats decide the order and how things such as month names are
displayed (short format, long, numeric) but the translation of the text
is handled, I believe, at the OS level...

(Qt, the framework we use, says this about that in their documentation:
"The month names will be localized according to the system's locale
settings.".)

Can you please check if by choosing a date format *and* by setting your
system locale to Chinese/China you are able to get what you want?

Thank you!

Nicolas
(MythTV translation maintainer/developer)