[Mythtv-translators] MythMediaStream Menu strings

Rune Evjen rune.evjen at gmail.com
Sun Aug 12 10:14:28 UTC 2012

2012/8/11 Nicolas Riendeau <knight at teksavvy.com>

> Hi Rune!
>

> On 8/10/2012 7:31 AM, Rune Evjen wrote:
>>
>> is it possible to translate the menu strings in MythMediaStream Menu as
>> part of the new MythMediaStream theme ?
>

> Everything is possible... (-;
>

>> The strings are customized compared to the standard meny strings and
>> resides in  ~/.mythtv/themes/MythMediaStream Menu when using the theme
>> dowloader.
>> Will these be picked up by the themestring tool before .26 release?
>

> The themestring tool was already run. I was thinking of running it before
> we're in full string freeze to make sure we have the latest strings
> (otherwise the texts will be shown in English as you have seen) for the
> themes we currently translate but I am not allowed to run it to add what is
> most likely a few hundred string while we are in string freeze...
>
> We promised you, our translators, we wouldn't add new strings unless it
> was absolutely necessary and adding the strings from MythMediaStream would
> break that promise...
>
> If every translator agrees to add this theme strings now I could most
> likely ask for an exception and would most likely obtain it but past
> experience tell me that I will most likely get "no" votes...
>
> (And a single no vote would mean we don't add them...)
>
> We currently translate a subset of the available themes because if we
> translated all of them we would add something like a thousand new strings.
> It will eventually be possible to translate on a per-theme basis but that is
> not yet possible...  The number of themes with strings unique to their theme
> simply rose too fast and the solution we have been using doesn't scale very
> well...
>
> (I've been thinking quite a great deal about this problem recently and I
> can't say I'm surprised the question about translating MythMediaStream came
> up...)
>

>> Some examples from mainmenu.xml are:
>> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
>> <mythmenu name="MAIN">
>>
>>      <button>
>>          <type>TV_WATCH_TV</type>
>>          <text>Television</text>
>>          <description>Watch live</description>
>>          <action>TV_WATCH_LIVE</action>
>>      </button>
>

> <snip>
>

>> ..of which "Watch your" is not a translatable string while "Movies" are
>> correctly translated to "Filmer".
>> Best regards,
>

> Yep, I know... The example you provided only shows some of the fields we
> translate, we actually extract more...
>
> It's quite unfortunate that this theme was only made available this close
> to release...
>
> There is something I could do though...
>
> I could provide every translator interested in translating this theme a
> patch they could apply which would add the new strings, Once the patch is
> applied you could run lupdate and get the new strings...
>
> The problem with this is that if you run lupdate later without that patch
> [...]

Thank you for your extensive answer Nicolas,

one small question: If I translate theme strings based on a patch from
you before 0.26 for my own use (I will also share the .ts and .qm file
for other Norwegian users), could my translations be added to master
after the release of 0.26, in order to not lose this work for later
versions ? Or does this depend on whether you choose to include
strings from more/all themes ?

I guess that the possibility for translators to choose to translate
only a subset of all themes would be great, and if the number of
themes will increase maybe theme translations would be better linked
to each theme (i.e part of theme download system) instead of the main
code and release cycle of mythtv itself?

Best regards,

Rune