[Mythtv-translators] FYI - Planned 0.26 release schedule

Nicolas Riendeau knight at teksavvy.com
Fri Jul 13 00:54:15 UTC 2012

Hi Florian!

On 7/11/2012 9:44 AM, Florian Bittner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> do you mean July/August this year? :-)

Yes... (-;

> What is the reason for this fast coming next version?

Having shorter release cycles (releasing a new version) has been our
target for a while, our most recent releases (0.25 excluded) were done 6
months apart.

0.25 was an exception in that regard because we were working on several
large features so a short release cycle wasn't possible.

0.26 will contain all the current features of master (the development
branch) and fixes which could/were not backported to 0.25-fixes (or were
only backported partially to limit how intrusive the modifications to
our stable branch were). Everybody's need is different but I know some
people have been eagerly waiting for some of those in a stable branch.

A lot of work is now done in separate branches to keep the main
development branch, master, stable enough to allow for shorter release
cycles such as this one (4 months being the shortest and 8 should
normally be the longest).

> I just upgraded to 0.25!

And all this time you were missing on those new 0.25 features? (-;

If 0.26 doesn't have features or fixes you are looking for you can stay
on 0.25 for now (but please keep those updated translations coming...
(-; ) as it will always be possible to upgrade later (either to 0.26 or
a subsequent version). The procedure to upgrade between versions might
be different depending on how many versions there are between the
version you are upgrading from and the version you are upgrading to but
it will be possible.

(Personally I can't wait so I'm always running master on my "production"
backend to have all the latest features... (-; )

Thank you very much for your work and have a nice day!

Nicolas