[Mythtv-translators] Themestrings has been updated for 0.25 - It's time to start translating! :)

Nicolas Riendeau knight at teksavvy.com
Thu Mar 22 17:45:16 UTC 2012

Hi Nick!

On 3/22/2012 12:57 PM, Nick Morrott wrote:
> On 21 March 2012 14:05, Kenni Lund<kenni at kelu.dk>  wrote:
>> FYI, a couple of corrections to the themestrings were comitted earlier
>> today. We expect that all strings will stay frozen from now on until the
>> final release.
>
> I noticed some UTF-8 weirdness today after updating for the en_gb
> translations. The XML element generated by lupdate containing the
> description text for the Steppes theme (it contains "Français") was
> not generated with valid UTF-8, but rather each of the two bytes
> representing the "ç" character (should be C3 A7) was further
> re-encoded into UTF-8 so that 4 bytes in total (C3 83 C2 A7) were
> output for the character in the file.

That's *exactly* the same problem we had before in the themestrings.h
file (double encoding) and while it's fixed in the themestrings.h file
now we have it when the strings are transferred in the translations
files by lupdate.

I think I have an idea how to fix it (assuming lupdate is actually able
to extract UTF-8 correctly) but in the mean time we'll keep the (US
English) source string like that in order not to break the hard string
freeze. If we get reports from any of the translators that some strings
are untranslatable we *might* temporarily break the string freeze in
order to correct these issues and fix this at the same time..

> Checking the updated themestrings.h file and upstream theme shows no
> issues - the issue seems to be with lupdate. I'm running en_gb.utf8
> here and haven't noticed any other weirdness. Do you see the same
> issue when you update your ts files locally?

Yep, it's here too... I wasn't the person who translated it in my team
so I hadn't noticed it but I can see the problem is present here too...

> I've updated the translation so it works with the "bad" string in the interim.

Which is what we must do unless we have a *very good* reason to
temporarily break the string freeze...

>> As previously mentioned, the release of MythTV 0.25 is scheduled for the 2nd
>> of April, so please submit your final translations as soon as possible.
>
> I updated the translation stats earlier and will again in a few days.
> Overall completions are improving but I'm hoping for a lot of updates
> come in for those languages with low current completions :)

Thank you!

Have a nice day!

Nicolas