[mythtv-users] SN41G2 (amd) Shuttle and MythTV

Tue Apr 1 18:48:25 EST 2003

> There are a lot of unresolved problems with the nforce
> chipset under Linux. Kernel guru Alan Cox says the
> chipset is best for "winputers."

I defer to his opinion, but it looks like one of the fastest chipsets yet to come out for AMD.  Shame that there are these problems.

To be honest I am plotting to build a dedicated front end box for mythtv, but I will almost certainly steer clear of AMD this time.  I also keep buying things with via chipsets in and I am plagued with constant problems (my latest mistake is a dual SMP 1 Ghz intel with via 686 chipset.  USB works if you clasp your hands and pray, but rarely otherwise.)

So if anyone has a good suggestion for an all Intel P4 motherboard then I am all ears!  Must run silent, ie no chipset fans.  Sound is not required because I am getting an RME audio card (pro level sound card).  Probably this also rules out most of the Shuttles though due to the need to have at least two PCI cards...  Anyone know which is best supported on linux, the new SIS chipsets, or the intel 7205 chipsets?

Thanks