[mythtv-users] Re: Processor Recommendation - 2 tuner system

Joseph Jamieson jjamieson at futurefoundations.com
Fri Apr 4 10:48:30 EST 2003

As far as windows popping up on the TV, you probably have Xinerama or
nVidia's Twinview set up.

What you want to do is to set up your XF86Config just like you would in
Xinerama (not the same as twinview), except you'd put something like
this in the serverlayout section:

Screen 1 "TV" rightOf "CRT"   (replace TV/CRT with the names of your
screens)

What this will do is make two separate screens, 0.0 and 0.1.   In this
case, 0.1 would be the TV.   You can move the mouse between them, but
not applications.  Some basic KDE stuff works (dragging icons across)
but most cross-display stuff won't work (this is good.)

To view an application on the TV, you have to launch it from the TV or
export DISPLAY=:0.1 when you launch the program.

I've found that this is the best way to do dual-head with a TV, since
you really don't want your applications to show up on the TV unless you
tell them to, and it's better then starting an x server JUST for the TV
since you can also use your CRT at the same time.

There's little caveats; on nVidia boards you can only do overlay on the
first screen, so you may want to try making the TV "screen 0" instead of
the CRT.   As far as OpenGL, I can use it on either screen with no
problems with my nVidia board.

Your mileage may vary.