[mythtv-users] Re: Video Distribution System

Charles Choukalos choukalos at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 7 16:54:16 EDT 2003

Hi Rob,

Looks like great minds think alike.  This is exactly
what I have setup at home now.  I currently have a
beastly dual pIII 550 with about 1/2 Terrabyte of hard
drive space acting as my home media server.  I hooked
this system up via an RF Modulator (Radio shack ~ $50)
into a combiner (Again Radio Shack, but it sounds like
the smarthome dongle would do the trick... perhaps
even deal with some noise for you too?) and merged
with my cable signal.  I had to put a low-pass filter
on my cable signal before I combined them though.  I
had a lot of color washout and distortion otherwise.
The Low-pass filter was $40 or so fron On-Que... but
you could make a generic filter that blocks anything
above 50 mhz I believe (that's like channel 84 or
something like that).  I use an ATI RF remote to
control the system (I had to get a couple extra usb
cables to position the receiver correctly though).  My
only major issues so far are as follows:

1.  Sound is too low (This is probably due to the fact
that I split sound from my snd card into 2 paths.  1
to a shielded mic cable for my dual zone sound system,
and the other into the RF modulator.  I think I'm
going to rewire and go straight into the RF modulator,
and pick up an FM stereo transmitter for the sound
system.

2.  Picture quality blows!  ***  Note, I still haven't

gotten the modelines to work right.  If I plug in one
of my smaller tv's with S-video on it directly to the
computer, reboot.  I get a great picture.  Then while
the machine's running, swap cables and plug it into
the RF modulator.  I've got a great picture (on all
but 1 TV)... just don't reboot.  Unfortunately, even
when I do the reboot w/tv trick, I still can't get a
"color" picture on my nice Sony 27" TV.  Its a bit
old... a 1996 ?! but for some reason, it takes the
signal and filters out all of the color.  It looks
clean/crips (even when I don't do the tv reboot trick
on the server)... but It's black and white.  Any
ideas?

P.S.:  But its really cool to wander the house during
parties, adding to the playlist with mythmusic on any
tv in the house.  Also, its neat to start watching a
movie downstairs... pause it... go upstairs to finish
the laundry, and as you're folding just watch from
your upstairs tv.

-Chuck