[mythtv-users] MythTV with an external tuner

Jason Tackaberry tack at auc.ca
Wed Apr 9 22:16:32 EDT 2003

On Wed, 2003-04-09 at 20:53, Andy Davidoff wrote:
> You need the IR blaster element, because that is what will do the
> external channel changing.  If the external channel changing command
> is undefined, Myth will just use the normal tuner in the capture card.
> PC tuner cards can only tune 125 channels.

Hi Andy, thanks for the fast reply.

Sorry, I re-read my original email and I didn't make myself very clear.

I understand that I need the IR blaster to actually change the channel
on my receiver.  Right now I have a dummy change_channel.sh script that
just echos the channel to a file, so that command is defined.  The
problem I was describing that after typing in a channel, say "400,"
MytbTV's OSD would indicate that I haven't in fact changed the channel
(it would still the channel number and description of the channel I was
previously on).

However it seems my mistake was that the channel change script wasn't
returning 0 to indicate success.  (I thought I'd tried that and it
didn't work and modified the script to instead return $1, and when that
didn't work posted my original email.)  I changed it back to return 0
and it's working as I'd expect, so I think that mystery is solved. :)

Sorry for dropping the signal-to-noise ratio of this list. :)

Cheers,
Jason.