[mythtv-users] It half works!

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Thu Apr 17 15:26:18 EDT 2003

Alex Davidson wrote:
> I'm very pleased to say that this install went with barely a hitch.  Two
> problems remain:
>
> 1. I now have Live TV but it is visibly struggling to keep up when I change
> channels.  I just tried Recording and Watching a show but it just shows a
> static image - being a Windows person, how would I go about figuring out
> where the bottleneck/s might be?
> To see what my hardware is you can view my blog at
> http://mythtv.blogspot.com which also includes my step-by-step install
> procedure (if anyone wants to copy it).

If I understand you page correctly you have a 500MHz Pentium
III? You would need to lower the resolution from the MythTV
default settings. For tips on finding the resolution that
will work best for you, see:

> 2. I have no sound within MythTV - sound works fine if I play a WAV file in
> Linux but Myth has nothing going on.  I have tested the connection between
> my capture card and sound card in a Windows system so I know they work so I
> can only assume my BTTV setup isn't quite right.

This is the most common challange people have when first
using MythTV. You need to verify that your system is recording
your audio then playing back the recorded sound. See:

--  bjm