[mythtv-users] Connection Setup (cords)

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Fri Apr 18 01:38:34 EDT 2003

Brad Atkins wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I think I'm a little confused as to how I should connect all the cables.
>
> I have a satelitte receiver with RCA and SVIDEO.
>
> My sound card is a Cirrus Logic CS4281
>
> My video card is an ATI Radeon 8500LE
>
> My capture card is an ATI TV Wonder with a breakout box and coax
> connectors (breakout box has svideo, and RCA cables)
>
> Right now I have my Satelitte sound running RCA to my Breakout box.
>
> I also have the SVIDEO from the Satelitte running to the breakabout box.
>
> I have the video going from my video card via a VGA converter box.
>
> Then I have from my line out on my sound card running to my sound receiver.
>
> I'm able to hear a .wav file play.
> I get video using xawtv; however trying to run aplay /dev/dsp I get no
> sound.
>
> I've ran the ALSA and the mixer setup.
>
> When I run the RCA cable from the Satelitte to my MIC on my soundcard I
> can hear the sound fine, but I'm assuming it's just passing through, and
> not actually playing off xawtv.
>
> Anyone know if I have the cables setup correctly? If so, why can't I
> hear any sound when running aplay /dev/dsp

Your cabling looks to be correct. If you connect the audio
to the breakout box, you also need the patch cable from the
capture card "out" to an input for the sound card. I'll
assume line-in for now.

First, verify that the audio signal is going through line-in.
Unmute and turn up the volume for line-in in alsamixer. Run
xawtv to make sure that you hear the patched through sound.

Once that works then you need to make line-in the capture
source. In alsamixer mute line-in with "m" and mark it for
capture with spacebar and turn up the volume for the "Capture"
mixer. Try the xawtv & aplay /dev/dsp again. If it still
doesn't work, check if there are mixers for Wav Capture,
AC97 Capture, and see if turning those up helps. If you
are using digital out from the sound card to the receiver,
try connecting speakers to the speaker out jack (I once
had a problem with routing from some inputs to the digital
out).

If you are going to be switching between video from the
satellite and coax cable, connecting the audio to the
breakout box is the way to go so that the tuner card can
switch audio sources for you (works for me but mdz had some
trouble with this. See the thread from earlier this week).
However, if you are only using the satellite feed, you can
plug the audio directly into line-in of the sound card
without routing it through the tuner card first.

--  bjm