[mythtv-users] Configure Bttv TV Card

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Tue Apr 22 14:51:45 EDT 2003

Wesley Belk wrote:
> I can not get my tuner bttv card to show up under the backend
> configuration of Mythtv.  When I open Capture Cards nothing shows up
> beside Video device: or VBI device.  I am not sure what VBI stands for
> or what hardware does that function.  An audio device does show up
> though.  My tv card shows up under harddrake (Mandrake 9.1 device
> manager).  Any ideas, I am new to Linux so I am not that knowledgeable
> as to how devices are referred to under the /dev folder.  My audio is
> set to /dev/dsp, but I do not see a dsp folder under /dev.  For my audio
> I can choose from /dev/dsp, /dev/dspW, /dev/sound/dsp, /dev/sound/dspW.
> Which one do i choose?  I have a sound blaster sound card.  I know my
> sound card works I have played mp3 on this linux system using this sound
> card.  Thank you for any help. Wesley

If your mp3s played okay it's probably the default "/dev/dsp".
However, there are probably a few other issues you are likely
to encounter before MythTV is running smoothly.

I'd suggest installing "xawtv" if it isn't installed already.
Running this is a good first step to seeing that you can get
realtime TV audio and video. Once xawtv works correctly, the
next step is to make sure you can record and playback audio.

Once these details are worked out, you will have a much easier
time getting started.

--  bjm