[mythtv-users] please help: Can't watch live TV for more than 5 minutes

Dan Brown dglbrown at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 22 16:49:37 EDT 2003

I'm having a problem that I can't find an answer to.
When I try to watch live TV using myth (0.8 on RH8) it
works for about 5 minutes or so, changing channels,
pausing and rewinding, etc - and then the picture
freezes. In the mythfrontend console, I get a
repeating  message:
Audio buffer overflow, audio data lost!

and in the mythbackend console I get a repeating
couplet:
VIDIOCSYNC0: Invalid argument
VIDIOCSYNC1: Invalid argument

I can ctrl-C to break out of each window, and then
when I restart mythbackend and mythfrontend I can't
watch TV at all- I just get the same error message in
the mythfrontend console (and no error messages in the
mythbackend console)...

My best guess is that it has something to do with the
sound card, but I've tried to re-install ALSA and
double check my audio driver (intel 810), but to no
avail. please help - I am so close to being a happy
myth user, and finally removing my monitor from the
living room table... Thanks
Dan

ps- if it helps, I am able to set myth up to record
shows, and then later watch them - but the next time
it goes to record, I get the audio buffer overflow
errors when I try to watch these 2nd round of
recordings. ??