[mythtv-users] MythTV & Packard Bell remote

Kaushik Mallick kmallick2000 at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 24 12:41:26 EDT 2003

Has anybody got a Packard Bell remote working with
MythTV?

Installing lirc in my RedHat 8.0 was a nightmare. I
recompiled the kernel according to the instructions
with "Standard/generic (8250/16550 and compatible
UARTs) serial support" as a module - thats the only
change I made to stock RH 8.0 kernel. But everytime I
booted, the serial.o module got loaded before
lirc_serial.o module making the remote broke!So I took
off all references to serial.o in my
/lib/modules/2.4.18-14/modules.dep. Now when I boot,
lircd is loaded fine and I can issue irw in a terminal
and I can see all the messages from my Packard Bell
remote transmitter. All buttons work and match with
the messages displayed by irw. But when I run
"irxevent &" and then run mythfrontend, the only
button that works is the 'Enter' button. I really
would like to navigate the buttons by up, down, left,
right buttons - but mythtv dooesn't seem to respond to
any of those.

What am I doing wrong? I have followed the docs to
copy the lircrc.example file as my ~/.lircrc. Does
some config files need to be changed? Any advice or
suggestion would be highly appreciated.