[mythtv-users] No Sound (still)

Alex Davidson alexd at synergycsi.com
Thu Apr 24 19:00:59 EDT 2003

So here's the deal.  I am on RH8 using ALSA - it refuses to store my mixer
settings but I can deal with that later, I have bigger fish to fry.
Artsd is no longer set to autostart.
I can use aplay filename.wav and it works (after I reset my mixer correctly)

I'm following the instructions for troubleshooting sound:
but am confused as to whether I'm supposed to mute sound on xawtv.

Also, trying to make sure I have the mixer set correctly I am following the
last section of http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-7.html#ss7.1
'set the Line input for capture by pressing SPACE at the slider and mute it
by pressing "M"'
Is Line supposed to be muted or unmuted?
The Line, CD and Mic are all available for Capture and Mute so I just want
to make sure I'm capturing and muting the right way - Line is Unmuted and
Captured, CD and Mic are both Uncaptured and Muted.

With my best guesses plus experimentation I can't hear anything when I aplay
/dev/dsp

I'm starting to wonder if I should put the capture card and sound card back
into a Win9x box to sanity check they still work - they did last time I
checked.

Alex