[mythtv-users] Mandrake URPMI sources..(long winded, sorry!)

m simm msimm at ureach.com
Thu Apr 24 22:05:08 EDT 2003

I've read a couple of post regarding Mandrake and urpmi. I
thought I'd just share the urpmi sources I've been using, the
last one (Thac's) includes Myth 0.8 and Xmltv 5.9 *with*
dependencies (Perl!). So if your using Mandrake, or thinking
about switching for your project over this *is the way to go*.

For those of your who don't know urpmi is the Mandrake version
of Redhats Package Manager (rpm) but with advanced dependency
features more similar to Debians apt-get (can be configured to
pull from net, and can be updated with new sources).

To set it up the first place to go is the PLF's (Penguin
Liberation Front) site and use their "Easy Urpmi" configuror:
http://plf.zarb.org/~nanardon/

It really rocks and I'd imagine the only reason Mandrake hasn't
included a great feature like this (in scope) is because of
potentially tricky license issues (mplayer, with Quicktime
video, etc).

I'd add pretty much all their sources, don't let plain or short
sounding descriptions fool you (tex includes awesome packages
including 17 packs of xmms skins and winamp coverted to xmms
skin!).

Next one is Myth specific (I found it at www.linuxsound.at
reading about music application!): http://rpm.nyvalls.se/

Configuring these is a snap because both provide the command
line command (sorry, redundant) for you. For those of you who
don't know (I didn't for the first 2 year I used Linux *full
time*) you can copy the text as usual (ie in Mozilla or
whatever) and paste it into a console (as root of course) by
middle clicking (if your using KDE with 2 buttons try
right-click paste).

Anyhow, the command for the Thac's archive looks like this:
urpmi.addmedia thacs.rpms http://rpm.nyvalls.se/9.1/RPMS with
hdlist.cz

Paste it in and wait for urpmi to download a list of available
software and your ready to get (I'd recommend getting *all* the
sources so you don't run into any dependancy issues, once its
done its simple to update and really give you access to more
software then you'd ever imagined!).

Once you’ve got it set up you *could* simple type "urpmi
mythtv-frontend" and install the front end and its
requirements.

(btw, urpmi is great, but using rpmdrake is probably better
since it give you a little more information about things your
installing and show version numbers where multiple packages are
available)

One thing to note is that Thac has set it up so you can install
parts without them including necessarily everything. For
instance you can install just the backend (and requirements) or
just the Mythvideo module (and requirements). I notice because
it didn't install Xmltv until I specifically clicked it, which
after a little thought makes great sense (from what I've read
this might be the one piece of the package you'll end up
recompiling, if the listing sites get moved around).

Last thing! If you do use urpmi with these sources, run
“urpmi.update *” from time to time to update your data base.
Lots of great new software being added all the time! Not to
mention update to get existing packages, like..say Myth!

Anyhow, probably most of you guys (and gals?) already know most
of this. Just thought I'd share a little. Even after getting
Myth to compile myself it was nice being able to update my other
pc's (now all myth frontends) without have to do anything!

Thats the power of Open Source!