[mythtv-users] Playing a sound during Live TV/Recordings

Eni Gma enigma at thedonnerparty.com
Sat Apr 26 12:21:51 EDT 2003

I am having a little problem with Myth upon which I was hoping somebody
could shed a little light.  I use a remote control to control my
frontend boxes.  I would like a small sound to play each time I press a
remote key so I can tell if the computer received the key or if Myth is
hung or waiting.  Just a little user feedback to aid navigation.  I set
up irexec to play a click when any key is pressed, and it works
fantastically in menus and the EPG.  However, when I am watching Live TV
or a recording once the application takes control of the DSP I can no
longer play my little sound.  The sounds queue up and when I return to
the menus I get a torrent of clicks, one for each keypress while I was
watching the video.  The clicks work under MythVideo (mplayer) but do
not work under MythTV.

Is there any way I can play a sound when Myth has control of the DSP?
 Is there a non-blocking DSP device available, or does Myth perhaps make
a facility available to play audio?  Any info on this subject is
appreciated.