[mythtv-users] Dream Machine

Edward Wildgoose edward.wildgoose at frmhedge.com
Sun Apr 6 20:50:15 UTC 2003

> On Saturday, April 5, 2003, at 02:49  PM, Dan Conti wrote:
> >> 120GB Maxtor 5400 (for noise reasons)
> >
> > Skip the maxtor and get a seagate barracuda V. It's the quietest drive
> > available and has fairly good performance. There are benchmarks for
> > this
> > sort of stuff at www.storagereview.com. It's worth your time to look
> > into
> > quieter CPU fans, case fans, and power supplies, especially if the box
> > is
> > going to be on all the time.
>
> That site doesn't have the Maxtor DiamondMax 16 120GB drive (4R120L0)
> listed. But all reports I read said it's one of the quietest drives
> around.

Is this a 5400 drive? I have a barracuda IV and it was v quiet when new, but
after a year it has some idle whine about it, and I am worried about heat
putting it in a "silentdrive" thing.  However, I have an older 5400 disk in
an AMD 450Mhz (with a slow 80mm fan on the CPU), and that is completely
silent in comparison....

I think speed is less important than noise, I wonder if anyone does a super
silent 5400 drive...?  A Barracuda 5400 would be great...

(Actually I just looked up the specs on this drive and the claimed noise is
the same as for the Barracuda V I think...)

Tricky...