[mythtv-users] bttv driver

Mon Apr 7 13:40:39 UTC 2003

> <poznick at conwaycorp.net> wrote:
> >
> > The source tree that you had... did you configure, compile, and install
> > your currently running kernel from it?  Also, when you went into the
> > configuration to add the bttv driver, did you make everything a module?
>
> Actually, I had recompiled and upgraded the kernel to 2.4 just after I
> installed Debian 3.0.  I did not patch it to include the bttv driver, but I
> did enable Video4Linux support.  I am assuming now that the correct way is
> to patch it and recompile.  I will try that.  However, one of the things I
> usually do is make everything built-in to the kernel and not use any
> modules at all.  It can probably be argued either way whether that is a
> good or bad thing, but I have never had problems before doing it that way.

Compiling the bttv driver as a module allows you to setup certain parameters easily such as the card type and number of buffers.  I suggest that this is probably the way you want to go in this case (unless you are quite fortunate and the defaults work OK)

> > A good thing to try is often to do a make clean on your kernel tree,
> > make sure it's configured the way you want it, and then do a fresh
> > build, install it, and boot into it...  Typically when you get
> > unresolved symbols like that, it indicates some sort of kernel mismatch.
> >

> Will try this.  I wish the docs were clearer on how to patch the kernel
> using the bttv driver 0.7.  Maybe I'll try the 0.9 driver.

You shouldn't need to patch a standard 2.4.20 kernel to get the bttv driver working.  I missed the first part of the thread so I don't know if you have some special requirements, but most people are OK just grabbing the 2.4 source and configuring v4l support and then choosing bt8xx drivers.