[mythtv-users] Live TV recoding behavior?

JC johnmythtv at crombe.com
Tue Apr 8 23:30:35 UTC 2003

I've suggested this before also.  I think it would be terrific if it just
didn't "kill" the buffer when you change channels.  I mean, what does that
accomplish by resetting the buffer?  Nothing.  It just destroys information.

My wife "paused up" the news the other day and once the kids were in bed she
sat down to watch it.  She accidentally hit the wrong button (channel up
instead of volume up) and BAM!  The whole thing was lost.  News was over,
she missed it.  No getting it back.   She said to me, "Why does it have to
wipe it out?"  I couldn't give her a good answer.

Simplest solution is to just let the darned buffer keep spooling.  If you
change channels, it jumps forward to "real time" and continues recording
from there.  Only throw out the buffer when it wraps around to its
beginning.

I'll work on it if nobody else does when I finish my current two projects
for work.  It's a biggie for me.

JC