[mythtv-users] Just got my XBOX running Mythfrontend! It worksgreat!

Peter Marriott peter at bms.net.au
Wed Apr 9 04:53:34 UTC 2003

> I don't know anything about XBoxes, so here's a couple questions...
>
> 1) Could someone just make an ISO that we can all use?  I mean once we're
> talking fixed hardware, couldn't we just d/l an ISO, burn to CD
> (or load off
> n/w) and be up and running in minutes?

Yep this is certainly possible, the install iso that I used for Debian is a
complete (at least complete looking) debian environment.  On
xbox-linux.sourceforge.net another distribution called "Xbox Linux Live
System" is based around having distros with plugins available on a CD.

> 2) You say it's a front end, and game machine.  Is that using MythGame or
> with the XBox s/w?  If Xbox, how does that work?  You dual boot to either
> Myth or Xbox's o/s?

I haven't installed MythGame yet, but will try that shortly.  I can still
play my standard XBOX games.  Just pop out my debian boot cd (which loads
debian from my F: drive), and put in my XBOX game.  My modchip can also be
disabled, so that my machine behaves like a standard XBOX.

> 3) Would we be best off using the existing remote (does it come with one?)
> and/or can we use a universal infrared like we do today?

You purchase a DVD remote separately.  This give you a USB plug in receiver
and an IR remote control (very nice ergo).  I plan to use my sony universal
remote and the USB receiver.  Note:  Can't turn standard XBOX on and off by
remote though.

> 4) You're recording at 400x288.  That's MPEG4 right?  Have you
> tried higher
> resolutions?  Seems like as long as you're not pegging you could
> go higher?
> I understand that higher vertical resolution pays off much more
> than higher
> horizontal but you're the other way around (or is that how you're
> reporting
> it - V x H?)

I am by no means an export on resolutions, but I think it could definitely
handle higher resolutions.  I am using mpeg4 but haven't had a change to try
the higher resolutions.  As I have two tuners, increasing resolution would
(I guess) hit me pretty hard when recording two shows simultaneously, or
recording one and watching live/paused TV

> 5) Does that guy have a 10/100 interface?

Yep... with standard plugs etc.